Every time you eat at a restaurant and order steak, you likely see these beautiful grill marks on the food. You want them for yourself at home, but they look so complicated. Well, they are actually pretty simple and easy if you know what to do.
Here are some tips to getting those professional-looking grill marks right in the comfort of your own home.
Start with a hot grill
The best way to get those perfect grill marks on your steak is with a hot barbecue. Preheat your grill on HIGH at least 13 minutes before putting a steak down. While the grill is heating up, clean the grates carefully using an abrasive grill brush with steel bristles. Place it at 45 degrees and then turn another forty-five when the first side has cooked enough so you can create the perfect grilling patterns throughout.
Diamond grill marks
Those attractive blackened marks on your steak are called the Maillard reaction, which occurs when amino acids and carbohydrates are exposed to heat, leading to blackened marks on your grill. Here’s how to get the diamond grill marks on your steak the next time you cook from home to impress your guests!
- Preheat the grill until very hot (about 500 – 550°F).
- Season steaks with salt and pepper, or as desired.
- Place steaks on the preheated grill with the ends at 10 and 4 o’clock.
- When the meat has seared and juices begin to rise to the top, turn steaks clockwise, ending at 2 and 8 o’clock.
- After a minute or two, flip steaks over and cook until they reach the desired degree of doneness. Use an instant-read thermometer to ensure food safety.
- Remove steaks from the grill onto a clean plate and rest for approximately 5 minutes to redistribute the juices.
Love the flavors of smoked meat, but don’t want to barbecue yourself? Southbank Original Barbecue is located right along the beautiful Fox River in downtown Yorkville. We offer favorites such as pulled pork, ribs, and tri-tip, as well as savory sandwiches, SOB mac & cheese, and cheesy potatoes. Our BBQ is wood cooked, and our comfort food is homemade, served to order, and delicious every time. Please stop by today, or visit our website and like our Facebook page for more information!